The last two days have been tough, but i still managed to get up and ready for another day. Today was to be less windy, but temperatures were to reach 38° by 3pm, so i set off. Again today was going to be a wait and see day in terms of destination, with two possible choices.
The day started with a bike route around the outskirts of Bismarck. Bismarck is the capital of north dakota, it is the first state capital for me, and the next one could potentially be Boston. Riding was much more pleasant than the previous two days, but still not easy. The wind was a lot weaker, but the road changed direction quite often, resulting in periods of side wind and head wind. But as they always do, the miles past by. Soon enough i was in hazelton, the first of the possible destinations. The temperature was beginning to rise, but by now Im kind of used to the heat. The next 25 miles to napoleon were all directly east, the destination of the wind. Staying Im hazelton or napoleon was unlikely to change the next days destination, but i decided to fight the heat and do the miles today while the wind was with me, instead of waiting until tomorrow, risking head winds.
It turned out to be a great decision. Despite the heat, i flew along the road and was soon in napoleon. Keen to watch the US open final, i checked into a motel, got some dinner and then with my feet up, watched our man do the job. It was clear that my factor 30 sun cream was not quite strong enough, i probably could have cooked dinner on my arms. But despite the wind and the heat, i managed two 50 mile days and a 75 miler today. Short ride tomorrow, still on track to be outta this state only one day longer than originally planned.